Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bake!!


Lemon Poppy Seed Bread


Orange Sourcream Bread

So I went on a bit of a bread baking trip today. We were invited for dinner so I couldn't not jump at the chance to bring dessert, right? Any reason to bake I say!
With a family of five baked goods don't last very long, so thank goodness they aren't all for myself.
I wanted to go with a winter citrus theme. First I went with my tried and true betty crocker lemon poppy seed bread. This time I wanted to add a extra pizzazz, so I researched some glazes and decided on a confectionary sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, and milk glaze. Oooh it was good.
The next bread I had not tried before. It was a orange sourcream pound cake. I want to spice it up a bit with a cream cheese glaze. I used about 3 tablespoons of cream cheese, a cup of confectionary sugar, a squeeze of orange juice, 1/2 tsp. of orange peel, tsp. of vanilla, and we were ready to roll. This one I really loved. the cream cheese was a bit messy , but delicous none the less. I really don't care (except for blog picture sake) what my food looks like, just as long I am happy eating it to my hearts content.
If you are in the mood to bake some pound cakes, I'm telling you, you won't regret these glazes. Both pound cakes come from betty crocker cookbooks, but are all fresh ingrediants.

I have had some time to work on some of my minis lately. I want to make a new couch and coffee table. I had alot of fun looking through the CB2 catalog, and was really impressed by the design of a coffee table that was featured. So I got my wheels rolling and worked for a couple of weeks here and there. And walaa, this is what I came up with.

I wanted to go with a yellowish, orangish stain. I carved the sides to meet at an angle.


I also wanted to make an armless couch. This was quite a challenge, and I didn't finish without some mistakes, but overall it came out. It was hard to get the angle for the back and the cushion to meet. I love the challenge. I think I might start working on a new bedroom set. I also have a little mini bar in mind next. I kind of went on a re-ment shopping spree lately. I was able to snag some of the elegant sweets that I have been eying, the floating hamburger, onion ring and soda set(wanting that forever, the mimo soho shooters, another girls in the city (wanted some more office supplies), and the grill set for the spring. Oh I had too much fun. I can't wait to take some pics soon. I was too busy baking today ;)


Now go bake some delicious sweets!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, your table and couch are amazing! I don't know how you do it, I love it. Straight out of a CB2 catalog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much both of you! It means alot to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm digging the armless sofa. Looks really good.

    I've just made the connection between you and your flickr name *doh* I'm getting old, mind doesn't work so well ha-ha

    *pinchofpepper*

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH thank you so much Pepper! Especially coming from such an artisan as yourself!

    ReplyDelete