Monday, November 16, 2009

Crafting throughout the ages



I love finding old craft books at the thriftstores that show the craft of the time. You find macrame, bulky knits, bright colors and felt throughout the 60's and 70's. The 50's brought woodburning kits, paint by number sets (which I still love), key chain making kits .Quilting, embroidery, knitting, and rugg making, are found in the 20's. I find myself very much interested in "Little House on the Praire" times. Last year a came across a book called "The Praire Girl's Guide to Life," by author Jennifer Worick. The book takes you back in time to discover crafts prairie girls were doing at the time and detailed instructions on how to recreate these items. The book even gives recipes, how to do dances of the time, and some history behind the techniques they used. I love this book! I have been a fan of Jane Austen's books for a few years now. I recently was introduced to a book called "Jane Austens Sewing Box," by Jennifer Forest. I got all excited inside! Crafts from the 18th century. It incorporates history, talk of her literature, and don't forget the crafts (18 to be exact). This book is definitly on my Christmas wishlist. I would love to learn crafts that have been forgotten over the ages. I need to get started on my Christmas gifts to friends and family here soon. I have been working on my shop lately. Speaking of the holidays, I usually make a different themed stocking for my kids each year. They request the theme and I usually embroider them. I love to use fleece. It is a very forgiving fabric and is so fun to work with. I just created one for my etsy team winter theme. I will share photos when I get a chance to take pics. I use pinking shears for the edges so that I can sew up the sides in a jiffy, and it really adds a quick and easy touch. Best Regards...

No comments:

Post a Comment